Friday, June 06, 2008

My email to Penny Sharpe


Dear Penny,

I have just had a chance to read your speech to House on the Miscellaneous Acts Amendment (Same Sex Relationships) Bill 2008 and wanted to pass on my thanks for all of your good work in this area. It is such a positive step forward for recognition of all types of families.

In some ways of course it won’t change anything in our lives - like your daughter, Thomas and Al are already really clear about our roles and connections to each other which have nothing to do with laws or biology. But in others of course it makes all the difference to us - in the day to day interactions we have with the wider world and the public and formal recognition of our family. Personally - confident as I have felt about my love and responsibility for Al I have been surprised in someways about how emotional I have felt at knowing that our relationship and that of Thomas’ with Gaye (and for that matter the boys to each other) will be formally and more broadly acknowledged.

Best wishes to you and your family...

I sent similar ones to my local member and federal member and the Premier.

Miscellaneous Acts Amendment (Same Sex Relationships) Bill 2008

No comments: